Graphics Challenges on the PC Platform
- What is going to be the killer 3D application?
- No-one cares about 3D other than workstations applications and gamers
- What is going to change that - on the PC and on the Web?
- Geometry processing performance
- How to push to the next level of performance i.e. ᡠM polygons/sec
- CPUs are not fast enough - we need geometry acceleration ...
- … but high-end volumes are too small to warrant specialized chip development
- PC system bandwidth - passing data to the graphics engine
- Front side bus bandwidth is a fundamental barrier to polygon performance today
- What are the possible hardware and software solutions?
- Graphics memory architecture
- On-board texture management is an unbounded problem and a difficult software problem
- UMA memory is cheap - but lacks high performance
- Has the time come for memory management in graphics chips?